Every Child is Gifted, They Just Unwrap their gifts at different times. -Unknown

Sunday, March 23, 2014

40 bags in 40 days

http://www.whitehouseblackshutters.com/

I did not realize when I saw this on Pinterest that it was for lent.  Thanks to Robyn, I saw on Instagram that she was going to take the challenge, so I decided to jump on board.  (FYI I also recruited my friend Britney) So, I am really doing it to Decrapify because we typically don't give up things for lent.

For more information on 40 bags in 40 days you can view her blog White House Black Shutters.  Very simple concept.  She suggest to make a list of 40 manageable things in your life that you want to unclutter. So me and my fonts made a cute matrix so I could keep track. She has one on her blog, but it is not as cute.
This is page one of my matrix.  See everything is so much more fun with a cute font and graphics!


The first thing on the list was mismatched/no match socks.  I have moved 4 times since we have been married and every time, I have moved a basket of single socks.  Yesterday, I filled my first  bag! Okay so it was really a Wal-Mart bag  but it was over flowing.

On Day 2, I cleaned out my daughters PJ/play clothes drawer and panties and socks drawer.  We are so blessed to have an abundance of PJs passed on to us.  So blessed that she has over 13 sets.  What 6 year old girl needs 13 sets of PJs. I have gone in her room twice already just to open up the drawers.

Since I could not sleep, I got a day ahead and did the next thing on the list- the medicine cabinet and pantry.  The worst thing I found was having teething tablets from when Cami was teething. 

On my matrix, I decided to document the number of bags completed and a note for each.  I feel better being able to see it and reread my findings in the notes section.

The thing that worked best for me was making sure I picked 40 things that was actually doable. Instead of saying my closet, I broke it down in to what I thought could be completed in 30 min or less.  So my closet list includes- hang up clothes, shoes, shelf, upper storage shelf.  (note that this is only my part of the closet- I told my husband that I will not be getting rid of any of his things.) Since it is only 30 min task, I can get ahead so when things are busy, I don't feel bad about not doing something on one of the days.

I feel much better and have also started to decrapify at school too! I am so glad that our custodian and I are great friends or she would be hating me for the over flowing trashcans. 

So if you are reading this, I challenge you to Decrapify and join 40 bags in 40 days!

Love,
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment